Get Involved by Volunteering
Dedicated volunteers provide valuable contributions to our organization throughout the year. Here are ways you can help:
- Represent SHALVA at community events, like the Greater Chicago Jewish Festival, health fairs and more, by staffing the SHALVA table.
- Deliver and monitor the supply of SHALVA posters that are in synagogues and select local businesses.
- Collect cell phones from pick up locations, or organize a cell phone drive through your synagogue, sisterhood, men’s group, social action committee or school PTA.
- Host an educational event/parlor meeting for your friends to learn about what domestic violence looks like, how to prevent it, and how to help someone experiencing domestic abuse. For a list of topics, please click here.
- Serve on the SHALVA Board of Directors. For more information, contact our Executive Director, Carol Ruderman at 773-583-4673 if you are interested in applying.
- Join a committee such as Legal, Development, Outreach, Events and Marketing.
- Give your time and talent. Help needed with marketing, photography, graphic design or public relations.
- Answer phones, enter data, prepare mailings and complete general office work. This position requires participation in a 40-hour certification course on domestic abuse, as required by the State of Illinois. This position is currently filled.
To learn more about these opportunities, or to learn about additional volunteer opportunities, please complete our volunteer application form.
Get Involved by Participating
- Like us on Facebook and share our posts.
- Stay informed by signing up to receive SHALVA’s e-newsletter and email updates.
- Join us at our fundraising events such as the Annual Luncheon in June.
- Attend a community education program at your school, synagogue, professional or social group.
- Organize a community education program at your place of business, school, synagogue or social club. For a list of programs and trainings, please click here.
- Run in the Chicago Marathon on the “Run Domestic Violence Out of Town” team and raise funds for SHALVA and ten other domestic violence agencies in metro Chicago. The Bank of America Chicago Marathon takes place on Sunday, October 8, 2018, during National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. To learn more, click here.
Get Involved by Donating
SHALVA depends on the generosity of our community to help provide clinical services at no cost to our clients, for as long as needed, and to support our free outreach and education programs.
Contributions can be made online or mailed to:
P.O. Box 46375
Chicago, IL 60646-0375
Make a contribution to SHALVA and acknowledge special people in your life throughout the year. SHALVA will send a personalized card in honor of milestones such as weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, Bar Mitzvahs and also in memory of loved ones. Make a contribution or call 773-583-4673.
Planned Giving, Bequests & Stock Donations
Please call Carol Ruderman, Executive Director, 773-583-4673 to learn about planned giving, bequests and stock donation opportunities.
Employee Matching Gift
Many companies offer matching gift programs for their employees’ charitable donations. If your company participates you can multiply your donation to SHALVA just by completing required forms that your employer requires.
Sponsorship and Underwriting Opportunities
Please call Alison Bloom, Director of Development, at 773-583-4673 to learn how you can support a SHALVA program or event.
SHALVA does not accept clothing, cosmetics, toys, books or household items.